¼ c. balsamic vinegar
½ c. extra virgin olive oil
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1 t. Dijon mustard
2 t. Italian seasoning
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1 lbs. Strip steak, approximately 1½” thick
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 large avocado, chopped
1 T. fresh lemon juice
4 c. mixed salad greens (or other lettuce, of choice)
1 English cucumber, chopped
1 c. grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
½ c. Kalamata olives, sliced
½ c. Feta cheese, crumbled
1. In a medium bowl, combine the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, and Italian seasoning. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and whisk to combine. Set aside.
2. Add the steak to a large, sealable freezer bag. Pour half of the balsamic dressing on top and seal tightly. Gently turn bag to make sure the steak is thoroughly coated in the marinade. Marinate the steak for at least 30 minutes at room temperature (but not more than 2 hours) or place in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer the remaining half of the dressing to an airtight container and set aside until ready to use.
3. When ready to prepare the salad, place the top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
4. Turn exhaust fan to the highest setting and heat olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet over high heat. Remove steak from marinade and discard the bag. Add the steak to the hot skillet and sear on all sides, approximately 2 minutes per side.
5. Transfer skillet to the pre-heated oven and roast the steak to the desired level of doneness, approximately 8 minutes for medium-rare.**
**Use an instant-read thermometer to check for doneness. The steak should be 5-10°F below desired temp (e.g., 135°F for medium-rare) when removed from the oven. The internal temp will continue to rise while resting.
6. Remove steak from oven and transfer to plate. Cover loosely and set aside to rest for 5-10 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, toss the freshly chopped avocado with the lemon juice to prevent browning. Set aside.
8. Layer the mixed salad greens, cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, olives, and avocado on a large serving platter and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
9. Once the steak is rested, slice into thin strips and place on top of the salad. Top with crumbled Feta cheese and serve immediately with the remaining balsamic dressing on the side. Enjoy!
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Submit your kids recipe.