Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 8-11 minutes
Chill time: 1 hour
Yields approximately 4 dozen cookies
½ c. unsalted butter, room temperature
1 c. vegetable shortening
1 c. brown sugar, packed
1 c. granulated sugar, divided
½ c. molasses
2 large eggs, room temperature
4½ c. all-purpose flour
2 T. ground ginger
2 t. baking soda
2 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. ground cloves
½ t. salt
1. Cream the butter, shortening, brown sugar, and ½ cup granulated sugar in a large mixing bowl with a hand-held mixer.
2. Mix in the molasses, and then add the eggs and mix to combine.
3. In a separate large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and spices. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Transfer the dough to the refrigerator and chill for one hour.
4. While the dough is chilling, place top oven rack in center position and pre-heat oven to 375°F. Line two large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat and set aside.
5. Remove dough from refrigerator and form into 1-inch balls. Roll balls of dough in remaining ½ cup granulated sugar until coated.
6. Place balls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between each ball. Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 8 - 11 minutes or until cookies are nicely browned and cooked through.
7. Remove cookies from oven and cool on wire rack before serving. Enjoy!
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Submit your kids recipe.