Homemade Ice Cream Cake
By using a ball cake pan, making a homemade
ice cream cake turns out really easy and one of our favorites! We
also have directions for a purely layered ice cream cake like you'd
buy at an ice cream store, love it!
Making Homemade Ice Cream Cakes
This tutorial was made using the Betty Crocker bake and fill pan.
We'll tell you below how to use a ball cake pan instead for this
Crocker Bake 'N Fill Set
Fill your ball pan to the fill line and the circle pan with batter.
Add insert to your ball pan. Bake and allow to cool. Take out
Now comes the fun part where you fill your ball with ice cream.
Allow your ice cream to soften slightly and fill hole.
Top with round circle. Flip over on serving platter and frost with a
crumb coat and decorate.
Make sure when decorating your ice cream
cake, you work fast and place it back in the freezer if it is
getting too soft. You don't want the ice cream to melt into your
cake. Also store in the freezer until ready to serve.
This cake was made with the Bake and Fill dome shaped pan that comes
in the set.
Don't have a Bake and Fill Pan?
Bake a 9 inch pan and a ball pan for this recipe. Allow to
cool. Carve out a hole on the bottom of your ball cake making
sure to leave several inches thick around the sides and top of ball
to keep your cake sturdy. It will look much like the picture above.
Fill your carved out ball with ice cream and top with the 9 inch
pan. Flip over onto a serving platter and decorate.
Layered Homemade Cake
This is my favorite way to make ice cream cakes. You can try
different flavors as you'd like. Our favorite is chocolate with mint
ice cream inside.
You will need:
- 2 quarts vanilla ice cream
- 1 quart chocolate ice cream
- chocolate cookies or chocolate candies, crushed
- chocolate syrup or chocolate shell syrup
- Cool Whip or whip cream
- springform pan
- Freeze a 9 inch springform pan and allow vanilla ice cream to
soften. When soft, layer vanilla ice cream on bottom of pan and
up the sides. Freeze.
- Unthaw chocolate ice cream and smooth over vanilla layer.
- Crush chocolate cookies or candies and stir in 1-2 Tablespoons
chocolate syrup. Sprinkle on top of chocolate layer.
- Unthaw vanilla ice cream and spread over chocolate cookie
layer. Smooth ice cream to edges. Refreeze.
- Take cake out of freezer and use a knife along outside edge to
loosen. Open springform pan and refreeze.
- Spread cool whip all over top and sides of cake. Refreeze
until ready to serve.
Follow Kids Cooking Activities