Kids Cake Decorating Party
A cake decorating party makes a super fun
kids cooking activity.
Make a cake for each guest ahead of time and prep your frosting in
different colors and you'll be ready for the fun of decorating!
Items Needed for a Decorating Party:
Printable Cupcake Game
- prepared cakes and/or cupcakes- see below for details on
deciding which you'd like to do- see recipes below
- prepared frosting in 4-5 colors for decorating- see recipes
- prepared filling if making 2 layered
- pastry bags 4-5 for each
- batch of frosting for sides and top of each cake- see recipes
- metal spatulas for spreading one per guest
- serving plate - you can buy simple plates at $1.00 store- one
- sprinkles, candies, etc if desired for decorating
- already prepared frosting tubes or cookie icing tubes, if
you'd like to do this instead of pastry bags
- box for taking home cupcakes or decorated cake. Make sure your
plate will fit nicely into the box if doing this
Planning To Do List:
Two weeks ahead:
One week ahead:
- Send out invitations
- Order/sew/buy aprons or chef hats
Several days ahead:
- Make your shopping list for the party
- Buy non perishable items, goody bags and any craft supplies
you need if you are decorating aprons or hats
- Prepare chef hats ahead of time
One to two days ahead:
- Put your goody bags together
- Get a final number of how many children are coming to the
- Check out our decorating
ideas for what you'd like to do at the party.
- Do your grocery shopping for the remaining items
Morning of party:
- Prepare cakes and allow to cool overnight
- Line kitchen tables or any large table with a plastic
tablecloth or white butcher paper.
- Set table with decorating items
- Prep frosting, best if done the day of the party. Prepare
white frosting for each cake, filling for each and various
colored frosting for piping bags.
- Fill frosting bags. These can be passed around to share and
more color added as needed. Have piping bags with a star tip and
a round tip. These two are easy to use and decorate with.
Recipes Needed for Decorating Party
Filling and cake combination ideas:
- white with lemon frosting as filling
- chocolate with mint frosting as filling
- chocolate with chocolate filling
- yellow with cream cheese filling
- strawberry with strawberry filling
- chocolate with peanut butter filling
- yellow with peanut butter filling
Keep this in mind when preparing frosting:
One 6 inch 2 layer cake will need 3- 4 cups frosting
One 8 inch 2 layer cake will need 4- 5 cups frosting
If using a separate filling recipe you will need 1/2 -1 Cup filling
for each cake
~This does not count for decorating you will need more frosting for
decorating and piping details.
Easy Spreading Frosting
Use this recipe for spreading the top of the cakes. It is easy to
spread for the kids. This recipe will frost 2- 8 inch 2 layer cakes.
So if you are planning for each guest to create a 8 inch 2 layer
cake this will be split in half for two guests. Prepare enough for
each guest and have extra frosting colored in various colors for
- 1 Cup butter, softened
- 1 Cup shortening
- 8 Cups or 2 lb bag powdered sugar or decorators icing
- 4-6 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Cream butter and shortening together. Add in sugar, milk and vanilla
and continue to beat several minutes until fluffy.
Kids Decorating Cupcakes
For the party one option is to have the kids decorate cupcakes which
will be a simpler idea. They can decorate cupcakes in their own
style with the colored frosting, piping bags and candies.
For cupcakes, it is fun to have a variety of sprinkles and small
candies for decorating ideas.
Or you can have a few already made examples that they can try to
duplicate. You can set this up in stations with the cupcake example
and the ingredients needed in different areas.
Have 4-5 cupcakes per guest to decorate. One cupcake they can eat at
the party and the rest they can take home in a cake box.
Kids Cupcake Decorating Ideas
See our cupcake decorating ideas
for some cupcake fun
cupcake recipes and icing ideas
Kids Cake Decorating - 2 Layer
For this you will need two circle cakes for each guest. It doesn't
have to be a 6 inch cake you can buy cake pans that are 3-4 inches
that would make a fun small 2 layer cake for each child. A small
cake size will cut down on the amount of frosting needed as well.
The steps to take are:
- Fill the bottom cake layer
- Stack the cake with the top
- Frost top and sides
Which ever size cake you use, give each guest a cake plate and place
a small bit of frosting on the bottom of the cake plate. Place one
cake layer on top. Now have kids add filling to the top of cake,
spreading to the sides. Add a second cake layer to the top and
continue to frost top and sides of whole cake with a metal spatula.
They may need help in getting this technique down. Start by adding 1
Cup, estimated, to the top and spread toward edges and down the
sides. Add more frosting as needed.
Now that their cake is filled and frosted have them step back and
think of what they'd like their design to be. The cake is like a
canvas that they can start designing.
You can also just have them decorate a simple one layer cake.
You might just be surprised what designs they come up with.
More Decorating Help
Fun Cupcake Ideas
& frosting recipes
Cake decorating techniques
Cake in a Jar
- decorate on a
decorating skills on sugar cookies
10 favorite decorating borders
- how to decorate your cake with piping
Color your batter
Fun Cake Decorating Ideas
Kids Cooking Party Ideas:
~Kids cooking parties,
~Birthday Cooking Party, ~ Calzones,
your own pizzas,
~Mini cordon bleu,
with different fillings,
toast and homemade syrup,
pizza, ~ Cookie Swap,
sundaes with cookie cups,
and Meatballs cake, ~Kids Cooking Games
Follow Kids Cooking Activities